This year marks the 25th anniversary of Image Comics, and they’re celebrating the year with style. Each month this year, Image is planning on unveiling a new theme, and March’s theme is a particularly timely celebration of Women’s History. Most of Image’s major series will sport an alternate cover, the proceeds of which will be donated to Planned Parenthood.
Given that Image has a plethora of fantastic female artists within their catalog, it’s really exciting to see the talent they have lined up. Not only do they have the artistic talent, the list reminds me that Image has some of my absolute favorite female characters (Morrigan in The Wicked + The Divine, Crow in East of West, the entire cast of Paper Girls, the whole of Rat Queens), and I’m stoked to see them on covers.
It feels that currently, there is a lot of grandstanding, but not a lot that feels really meaningful. I’m very pleased to see Image Comics not only doing something productive and encouraging, but also taking a moment to remind everyone that not only is Image willing to help, but they really are a beacon within the industry. Not only does Image have a lineup of some of the most delightfully feminist comic stories and characters on the market, but they have an army of talent behind the scenes. #FYImageComics
Be ready for the following variants, below:
- Rat Queens #1, variant artwork by Colleen Doran. 03/01/17
- Royal City #1, variant artwork by Emi Lenox. 03/01/17
- The Wicked + The Divine #27, variant artwork by Chynna Clugston-Flores 03/08/17
- Motor Crush #4, variant artwork by Leslie Hung 03/08/17
- East of West #32, variant artwork by Meredith McClaren 03/08/17
- Low #16, variant artwork by Vanesa R. Del Rey 03/08/17
- Moonshine #6, variant artwork by Jill Thompson 03/15/17
- She Wolf #7, variant artwork by Marian Churchland 03/22/17
- Magdalena #1, variant artwork by Roberta Ingranata 03/22/17
- Monstress #11, variant artwork by Sanya Anwar 03/29/17
- Old Guard #2, variant artwork by Nicola Scott